Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike mike is offline

Default the lie of rapid NiMH self-discharge

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:

I've never had problems with the supposed rapid self-discharge of NiMH
cells. And now I have proof.

Almost two years ago, I visited a friend in Gold Bar WA for Christmas. I
took some camera equipment, including freshly charged NiMH cells for the
flash. I didn't take any flash pictures, so the cells remained unused in

the
camera case -- which I just got around to unpacking yesterday. (Really.)

Four of the cells were 2700mAh Sanyo AAs. They all measured about 1.23V,
rather lower than the 1.4V NiMH cells commonly charge up to, but close to
the "nominal" 1.25V of NiMH and nicad cells. Contrary to Urban Legend,

they
were not completely discharged.

I put them in a Canon 580EX II, and the flash fully charged up in less

than
two seconds. I fired off some shots. The first few recycled "instantly".

The
last two took about a half second. I didn't run down the cells, but it

was
obvious that two years of sitting on the shelf had not rendered them
unusable.

The belief that NiMH cells rapidly self-discharge is utter malarkey.

Where
it came from, I don't know.

So you got dead battery performance and maybe 3 flashes and therefore
batteries don't self discharge?

Where did I say ANY SUCH THING?

I'm going to jump down your throat on this one, because I find most people
don't understand plain English. If I say "Some people have trouble getting
along with their bosses", most readers interpret that as "All people have
trouble getting along with their bosses." Really.

The cells WERE NOT DEAD. After two years they were at the nominal voltage
for a nicad or NiMH cell. Furthermore, they operated the flash without any
difficulty.

Your test was unscientific, undocumented, anecdotal, incomplete.
You are certainly entitled to draw any conclusions you wish
and base your personal decisions on those conclusions.

Your blanket statement about NiMH based on your sample-of-one
anecdote requires extrapolation beyond reason. "Proof" is not
a word I'd have used to describe your result.

I can say that my personal experience differs from yours.
And I get along just fine with my boss. Really!!