Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default the lie of rapid NiMH self-discharge

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:

The belief that NiMH cells rapidly self-discharge is utter malarkey.
Where it came from, I don't know.

You seem to be drawing a sweeping conclusion based on one data point.
Not always a reliable approach?

It's not the only data point. I've never seen any NiMH cell "rapidly"
self-discharge. At least, not over a period of a month or two, which is the
general claim.

Furthermore, the claim is that ALL NiMH cells "rapidly" self-discharge. I've
seen both MAHA and (now) Sanyo cells hold their charge.

Then why can four NiMH cells sit for two years and still be able to

properly
power a high-drain device?

Likely possibility: the NiMH cells that you installed two years ago
use an internel chemistry which is superior to that used in
early-generation NiMH cells.

Unlikely. These are not low-discharge-rate cells.

Newer ones are much better. The ones advertised as "low self
discharge rate" (e.g Immedions, Eneloops, and the like) have been
available for several years, and I believe that the improved
low-self-discharge technologies have begun appearing in more
"mainstream" NiMH cells which aren't specifically advertised in this
way.

These cells are about three years old. And they're high-capacity -- 2700mAh.
To the best of my knowledgte, low-discharge cells have a lower capacity. I
think.

PS: I will not gainsay anyone's claim to have seen rapid NiMH
self-discharge. It's just that I haven't seen it. And I've been using NiMH
cells for almost five years.