Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Calling all math wizards...

On 12/11/2011 04:58 AM, Tom wrote:
Hi Kevin
I really do not see the advantage in cutting the segments that way Could you
please explain why it is done in that manner.

Looking at the picture it seems to me that as you true the circle up you end
up with a trapeziod any way.

No, not so much. I'll post some photos in a minute that show what you
end up with.

Sorry I cant help with the math but I can give you the formulas for the
normal trapezoid segments. Either just as a mathematical formula or as a
formula for a spreadsheet.

I don't know the formula - there's so many places online that have a
working calculator that I've never bothered to look it up. For
instance, see:
http://www.delorie.com/wood/

Probably wouldn't be hard to find, but I figure why reinvent the wheel?

Google will turn up many more.

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb