Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Calling all math wizards...

On 12/11/2011 04:52 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:

No math whizard here. Looks like the setup you show in the picture
would give all end grain showing, if that is any factor.

Now that's an interesting thing. Another poster also noted the same
thing. I didn't think he was right until I took a look at the glue-up.

Here's two photos using the reverse segment construction:

One is a bowl that I just finished a couple days ago. The second is the
glue-up I posted yesterday, but after I've trimmed it on the bandsaw and
lathe. On the bowl, you can see the end grain is the joint and not
really exposed. On the glue-up (which is to become the lid for the
bowl) it is pretty much end grain that is exposed.

I think one can see the difference between a normal trapezoidal ring and
the reverse ring quite easily in the photos though.

I wasn't really paying attention to the direction of the grain when I
glued it up. I didn't consciously do it differently than when I did the
bowl but apparently one can go about it two different ways. I'll have
to cut some more segments and experiment.

All part of the learning process...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Attached Thumbnails
Calling all math wizards...-2011-12-11_16-52-22-jpg  Calling all math wizards...-2011-12-11_16-52-32-jpg