Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Alternative Battery LR44

Wild_Bill wrote:
Heheh.. you funny, man. My CAD consists of a mechanical pencil and
printer paper.
Software and I are mostly incompatible.

I was too, until I tried Rhino3D.
Just another happy customer!

A threaded shoulder on top of the cover wouldn't be too difficult with a
salvaged brass insert from an old plastic-encased product, and maybe a
little epoxy.

Good Hack! If the knob were hollow on the back side, you could
place the threaded area so that the knob almost completely
encloses it. Clean.

In lookin over the sichyation, it looks as though the + battery terminal
could maybe be trimmed and used like a switch contact with a little
lever utilized to move a tab, to either (a) act as an insulator in the
off position, lifts in the on position (b) move the contact away from
the battery in the off position, move the contact to the battery in the
on position.

Yup. I was considering using the flexibility of the PCB
as a spring, with a double sided board in the area of the
cell's + surface. Clockwise=on.

Your threaded solution wouldn't rely on the durability of the Chinese
soldering, which is always suspect.

Yup.

One drawback I see to removing the battery between uses, is that the
cavities can get dust/debris in there when the cover remains off.

Which is not nearly as aggravating as losing the cover.

I can see this in the small caliper I keep stored next to my desk, which
is a fairly clean area.

Will do.

This will be cool!

--Winston