Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 9mm -mutter, grumble....

Fixed a Wickes rad to a wall for a customer yesterday.

Rule One of fixing things to walls - throw away screws & fixings
supplied & use your own.

But these looked a bit good. Huge meaty plugs & coach screws.

I broke Rule One & tried to use them.

No size marked on plug as usual. Read instructions; "Using a 9mm masonry
bit, drill holes for the plugs".

9mm???

Check extensive stock of drill bits. 8mm & 10mm - no 9mm. Check in
Wickes book. No 9mm. Check in SF, TS, ITS catalogues - no 9mm.

Tried 8mm, plug wouldn't go in, tried 10mm, plug spun.

Applied Rule One & binned the bloody things.

Why would anyone make a plug that doesn't use a standard size hole?

I've got a set of universal drill bits which are supposed to drill
anything - from cheese to tungsten - including masonry. I'm pretty sure
there's a 9mm bit in the set (but I'm not going out to the garage now to
check!). I'd drill an 8mm hole with a normal masonry (or more likely,
SDS if in hard brick) bit, and then open it out with a universal bit.

Don't you find, anyway, that the same plugs require a variety of hole
sizes, depending on the hardness and crumbliness of the material you're
drilling?
--
Cheers,
Roger