Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ[_2_] Andy Champ[_2_] is offline

Default 9mm -mutter, grumble....

On 11/12/2011 17:08, Unbeliever wrote:
Or revert to the well tested and tried plan B: Drill the 10mm hole, cut a
square piece of wood slightly bigger than depth and diameter of hole, cut a
small lead-in taper on the end, bang timber plug into wall, cut off to
length with a chisel and then insert screw (pre-drilling hole in plugs as
necessary).

Far too old-fashioned for TMH to use - or maybe even a too difficult a
solution for him to think of!

And for the purists here who may 'bang on' about sticking a screw in to end
grain - remember the method was around for many years before rawlplugs etc
were invented.

While I have used such a solution in the past (usually with a bradawl
not a drill into the wood), as an amateur my time is not money.
Chucking the plugs out and using a more standard size is probably the
best bet.

Andy