Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Alternative Battery LR44

Heheh.. you funny, man. My CAD consists of a mechanical pencil and printer
paper.
Software and I are mostly incompatible.

A threaded shoulder on top of the cover wouldn't be too difficult with a
salvaged brass insert from an old plastic-encased product, and maybe a
little epoxy.

In lookin over the sichyation, it looks as though the + battery terminal
could maybe be trimmed and used like a switch contact with a little lever
utilized to move a tab, to either (a) act as an insulator in the off
position, lifts in the on position (b) move the contact away from the
battery in the off position, move the contact to the battery in the on
position.

Your threaded solution wouldn't rely on the durability of the Chinese
soldering, which is always suspect.

One drawback I see to removing the battery between uses, is that the
cavities can get dust/debris in there when the cover remains off.
I can see this in the small caliper I keep stored next to my desk, which is
a fairly clean area.

Will do.

--
WB

"Winston" wrote in message
Wild_Bill wrote:
Very good idea, Winston.. it hadn't occurred to me to integrate
something into the battery cover, and your solution is ingenious in
terms of simplifying the modification.

Thanks, Bill.

I guess that's why I hadn't added a switch to the cable plug cover (on
the top side), which would require removing material from the cover,
opening the display housing and various other steps.. the big one being
that the calipers still work reliably after being reassembled.

If you captured the battery cover to your CAD program, you could create
a version of it that included a brass insert for a 3 mm screw.
Scrap a keyboard for the carbon button and you are almost done:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/kb/const/switchRubber-c.html

Keep us posted, please.

--Winston