Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Is this due to RoHS solder?

On 10/12/2011 17:59, Arfa Daily wrote:

Just as a matter of interest, I had a 1985 VW Passat for about 10 years.
It was the 2 litre version with the 5 cylinder Audi engine fitted. It
had a fuel pump actually inside the tank, and this was controlled by a
relay on the main board at the front of the car. Towards the end of the
time I had it, so probably around 1996, it started to suffer
intermittent engine stops - always in embarrassing places like four-way
junctions, of course. It would run for weeks without so much as a cough,
then it would just die without warning. Not too bad if you were tooling
along on a big highway. It just lost power and slowed down, giving you
time to get off onto the side shoulder, before you had no power at all,
but worst was when you pulled away from a stop light, and it just died ...

I discovered that you had to wait exactly four minutes - not a second
less - before turning the key and trying a restart. Invariably, it would
then start and run as though nothing had happened. It took me a long
time to track the problem down, but it eventually turned out to be bad
joints in the fuel pump relay. As I recall, it looked in pretty much the
same state as the OP's one.

Arfa

Which are exactly the same symptoms which happen to pre Ford takeover Volvos

Ron