Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default 31 Things You'll Never Hear a Texan Say...

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 17:40:45 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

" But I say if you cut your own grass instead of paying somebody
else to do it, you earned the difference in net worth."

My net worth is zero.

I'm flat broke. Not a dime or possession to my name. I'm squatting on
a piece of land owned by some guy in another state who doesn't know
about me or my cardboard box.

The grass was getting pretty long. When the family down the block went
to church I snuck into their shed and borrowed their lawnmower. My
little piece of paradise looks much better.

Even setting up ridiculous scenarios that have nothing to do with the
original scenario won't help you.
You'll never run away from plus and minus signs.
What you quote above offers two choices: pay expense or do it
yourself.
So in your new scenario the squatter can become indebted $35 by
promising to pay a landscaper later, or do it himself.
If he pays, he's $35 in debt, net worth -$35.

What's my net worth now?

Since you (the squatter) mowed it yourself, your net worth is still
zero.
In other words, $35 more than if you hired it done.

All that work made me hungry. Can I go spend
my earnings on some food?

Assuming your credit limit is $35, you can now borrow $35 to buy food.
If you hired the mowing, you go hungry.
You're tapped out.
Why is this hard for you to understand?
Do you pay to have your lawn mowed, as BobR did?
Check this year's expense for that, which debits your net worth.
Fire your mower and do it yourself next year.
Then check at the end of next season for that debit.
It's gone! And you net worth increased by what's no longer debited.
You can then decide if you earned the difference, or it had nothing at
all to do with your labor, but was all caused by some wonderful good
magic you have no control over.
If you already mow your own, hire it done next year, then check how
that expense affects your net worth.
Then decide if that debit to your net worth is because you didn't mow
your lawn yourself, or because it's just some kind of black magic
happening out there that you can't control.

--Vic