Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default QAM and OTA tuner

wrote:

There were OTA convertors available for a nominal fee just before the
forced conversion to digital. I have two units sitting in my garage
that I use to power an old conventional tv, for OTA signals.

I'm not in the US, so I have to web search them, but WalMart has them for
$30, and some in stores supposedly (you have to go to the store to get
the exact price) for less.

They will work for OTA signals and may work for cable too, if the cable
company is sending the signals using uencrypted ATSC.

As I see it there is a lot of financial incentive to send them encrypted, not
only do you have to rent a box from them, but it reduces, if not eliminates
piracy.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(