Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Alternative Battery LR44

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 20:57:11 +0000 (UTC), (Edward A. Falk)
wrote:

By interesting coincidence, the son of a friend of mine took second place
in a science fair by doing a study on battery life among different brands.

The executive summary is that all the batteries supplied about 3
Watt-hours, but the Energizers are 3x the cost of the no-name Rhino and
Tenergy batteries, about $0.20/Watt-hr vs. $0.08/Watt-hr. The Energizers
last about 15% longer, but that is not enough to offset the difference
in price.

I just took a minute to look for LR44's on eBay. They sell for like
$.10 each. I just paid $5 for one in the local CVS. I can't believe
that the name-brand batteries are really 50x better than the no-name
ones. I'll probably get gouged on the shipping, but it's still a
much better deal.

The only..only reason to go with the higher priced batteries...is
some..some..some of the cheapies have been known to leak over a very
long period of time. Ive never had a SR leak..but have had some leakage
issues with really cheap batteries in devices (coin style batteries) if
left in devices over a number of years...in untemperature controlled
areas. Perhaps they froze? Shrug...they did leak. I think Ive had maybe
4-5 of them leak in the past 20 or so years.

Gunner

Gunner Asch