Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default That time of the year again: Tube heaters for loft

But if its anything like my loft its a basic wind tunnel, so it would never
be able to cope. You really need to put insulation over the pipe but keep it
open to the room below.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"MM" wrote in message
On Nov 14, 5:34 pm, MM wrote:
So far autumn temperatures are holding up well, but we might have a
shockingly cold December like last year, so once again it will be a
worry that the pipes in the loft will freeze.

So how about atubeheater? Are they safe to leave unattended? I read
on Amazon that they have to be mounted on a wall, but there's no wall
within feet of the pipes in question, so what would I mount one on?
What wattage would I need for a smallish loft (2004-built 3-bed
detached), 60W enough?

How about instead moving one of my oil-filled rads up there
temporarily? I've got a baby one that even has a thermostat on
(thetubeheaters appear to need an extra thermostat).

MM

I've finally purchased a tube heater. 120W 2ft long white, from Argos.
This is for the loft. The instruction sheet confirms that it is
suitable for the loft (IPX4 rating). In addition to the instruction
sheet, is there anything I need to be aware of when mounting it
tomorrow (can't do it now as I'm knackered after traipsing around
Boston for three hours).

MM