Posted to alt.home.repair

Default where to get a drywall 'nail locator'?

On Dec 9, 11:53*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Robert Macy" wrote in message

On Dec 9, 11:00 am, "
wrote:

On Dec 9, 9:35 am, wrote:

On Dec 8, 7:06 pm, Robert Macy wrote:

I remember years ago using a magnet mounted in a 'gimbal' structure
that pointed to a nail. Unsuccessfully tried to make one. the one I
made keeps missing the fasteners! If it 'sees' one, it is there, but
even though I know there should be a nail somewhere within inches,
can't find it. Usually misses screws, finds nails.

You need something more than a cheap refrigerator magnet. Get RARE
EARTH magnets, which you can find at Radio Shack. They're much
stronger and more sensitive to the small bits of metal you're trying
to find.

Why are you trying to find the nails? You can't remove them without
destroying the drywall, so if your intent is to remove them why not
just rip down the drywall and put up new?

Finally someone asked the question I had. I've always
been interested in finding STUDS. Why the need to find
nails when you know where the studs are?

to remove fasteners, remove drywall

reply: *A 100 % sure way to locate studs, just a little ineffective. *And
labor intensive.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Excuse me, but apparently you didn't pose the original
question, so how would you know the answer to
why he's doing it? It's not to locate studs, because he
clearly said in the post that he "already knows where the
studs are". That's why some of us asked the question.

He replied above that he wants to locate them to remove
the drywall. Which is a new one to me, as removing the
drywall seems like a losing proposition to me. If you don't
plan on trying to re-use it, then you just rip it off. If you
try to re-use it, first it's going to take a long time to screw
around locating the screws, then unscrewing it, removing
it, etc. And then the taped joints are probably going to
come apart a big mess, with the paper tearing, etc. And
they will still be covered with the old mud, uneven, etc and
will not be a clean new joint to tape and cover. All in all,
given the cost of drywall, the time involved, and how new
drywall will be easy to mud up and deal with, it sure
doesn't seem like a good idea to me.