Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

In article ,
Jules Richardson wrote:
All of my midgets had 3000 mile oil changes,

Same with my Stags.

Strange. 6000 miles intervals in the UK - same as pretty well every other
car of the time. Is the 3000 mile thingie in official BL literature - or
just the Haynes etc book of generalizations?

3000 mile oil changes date from the days of partial oil filtering. When
things went full flow, the distance doubled, approx.

My truck ('67 Ford) is 6000 miles (and nothing in the manual about
changing it after x years even if it wasn't used - maybe that's only a
synthetic oil thing?).

Not really. Low use usually equates to short journeys therefore more
condensation to contaminate the oil. Certain additives may have a 'shelf
life' too - but that's more of a guess.

More modern vehicles this side of the Pond all seem to be 3000mi for oil
changes, so in that respect things have actually got worse - or it's all
a big conspiracy

Which modern vehicles do you mean? Any normal car with a 3000 mile service
interval would be a bad joke in Europe. And there aren't that many models
exclusive to the US.

--
*The statement below is true.

Dave Plowman London SW