Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 11:27:21 -0000, Doctor Drivel
wrote:

One guy there would take a sample of oil from his car, it happened to be
a SAAB, and test it before any changing of oil. He had gone 60,000
miles on Mobil 1 changing the filter every 6,000 and topping up a
little, and it still did not need changing. He said in many cases the
filter did not need changing but did it as a precaution.

Funny that. When I had a series of Saabs, they always got treated to Saab
branded oil. Like gnat's ****.

I think I remember (but maybe this could be memory fade...) that a) it was
thinner than Mobil 1 (i.e. it was the right spec. for the motor); b) it
was cheaper than Mobil 1; c) it was (to me) more readily available.

Looks like there is a wider range of Mobil 1 products these days.

--
Rod