Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default where to get a drywall 'nail locator'?

Finally someone asked the question I had. I've always
been interested in finding STUDS. Why the need to find
nails when you know where the studs are?

Un, because we want to nail into and support stuff on studs, and not into
the nails, and the nails tell us where the studs are?

What do I win?

You can get all sorts of readings from beeping devices that are not a good
thing to shoot a 3" drywall screw into. Pipes, conduit, live wires, lots of
fun stuff.

I have puzzled for a very long time, reading two or three very good stud
finders, and finding studs and all types of unidentifiable things behind the
drywall, not being sure of exactly where the STUDS are. Yet, with a row of
magnets along a line, I can get a mental picture that is 95% accurate as to
where the studs are. Because they ONLY REACT TO STEEL NAILS OR SCREWS.

You continue to use whatever works for you. For me, a bunch of little super
magnets will find the studs for me by showing where the nails or screws are.
It is SOOOOOOOO sweet when you drill into something unknown to anchor, and
hit solid wood.

Whatever winds yer clock.

Steve