Posted to alt.home.repair
Dottie Dottie is offline

Default Painting

On Dec 9, 6:04*pm, Dottie wrote:
On Dec 9, 9:45*am, "couillion" wrote:

"Dottie" wrote in message

I used to buy all my paint at a small private company that has gone
out of business. *I bought something that was called Painter's
Insurance. *It was a can - said 100% acrylic -- of nearly clear liquid
and I mixed it one part PI to 2 parts water....then used it to cover
areas where the paint was coming off. *I think it served the same
purpose as Kiltz. *I need to re-paint some semi-gloss trim and want to
put that on before painting with the finish coat. *Does anyone know if
Painter's Insurance is sold anywhere else? *It costs a lot less than
Kiltz and it did a good job. If not I guess I will have to buy
Kiltz ... want to change a wall from semi-gloss water based to flat.

This might be a good place to start...

http://www.fpcoatings.biz/PaintersInsurance.html

Thank you! *The product I want is that -- I called and talked to the
owner of that web site. *He sells Painters Insurance down in St.
Petersburg but that is too far to drive. *He also said that Kilz is
not the same thing. *He suggested a product by Sherwin Williams. *Its
not the same but the closest *... for what I want.

I spoke to soon! I went to the Sherwin Williams web site and the
product he recommended is not what I want. My problem is that paint
has started peeling off from the trim around the door. Don't know why
-- it seems to happen here in Florida. I want to scrape off the loose
paint then put a coat of clear sealer on top - followed by a new coat
of paint. I could do that with the Painters Ins. and when it dried
you couldn't tell that there had been a problem. I did paint the
whole door frame -- but I don't mind that. Does anyone know of a
commercial product I can buy that will do the same thing. I also want
to use it for another project. I painted my entrance hall with semi-
gloss paint. I would like to change it to flat... it's all water
based. Reckon Kilz will do that? I mean, go over it with Kilz and
when it dries, paint it with flat paint. Need suggestions here.