Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default where to get a drywall 'nail locator'?

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 13:55:23 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy
wrote:

On Dec 9, 11:00Â*am, "
wrote:
On Dec 9, 9:35Â*am, wrote:

On Dec 8, 7:06Â*pm, Robert Macy wrote:

I remember years ago using a magnet mounted in a 'gimbal' structure
that pointed to a nail. Unsuccessfully tried to make one. Â*the one I
made keeps missing the fasteners! If it 'sees' one, it is there, but
even though I know there should be a nail somewhere within inches,
can't find it. Â*Usually misses screws, finds nails.

You need something more than a cheap refrigerator magnet. Get RARE
EARTH magnets, which you can find at Radio Shack. They're much
stronger and more sensitive to the small bits of metal you're trying
to find.

Why are you trying to find the nails? You can't remove them without
destroying the drywall, so if your intent is to remove them why not
just rip down the drywall and put up new?

Finally someone asked the question I had. Â*I've always
been interested in finding STUDS. Â*Why the need to find
nails when you know where the studs are?

to remove fasteners, remove drywall

Why? Are you re-using it?
If not, just use a knife, then a flatbar to pop it off, then take out
the nails/screws.
If you want to re-use it though, I guess you could go after the
screws. Wouldn't work with nails. Too much gouging.
Use a super magnet to locate the screws.

--Vic