Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Morse #1 taper adapter

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
Morse tapers are great for drills, but an uneven load will work them loose
if the quill doesn't have provisions for a drawbar to insure the taper
stays locked in place.

A 3" radius cutting tool will be a significant side load depending upon
how it approaches the work.. especially for a #1 MT.

There might be a stub arbor in #1 MT that's as big as 7/8", but probably
not very common.. 7/8" would more likely be found on a #2 or 3 MT, maybe.
The #1 MT is for small accessories/tooling such as the small chuck you
have.

--
WB

I probably could sneak a screw into the tip of the arbor to hold an adapter
in place. I can bush the disk down like the current setup to 1/2". I did
check with the manufacturer about the radial load and this application and
he said "no problem". That tapered arbor just looks so tiny! But, if I
figure it all out I'll have a cheap, quiet trimmer! One of the engineers
has already drawn up a preliminary design to machine the piece but I hate
high-speed stuff, it's just not forgiving in the slightest.