Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default where to get a drywall 'nail locator'?

On Dec 9, 4:48*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
All I need is a simple nail finder/locator for finding the nails in
the drywall. I KNOW where the studs are, but need to find screws/nails
behind the taping plaster.

I remember years ago using a magnet mounted in a 'gimbal' structure
that pointed to a nail. Unsuccessfully tried to make one. *the one I
made keeps missing the fasteners! If it 'sees' one, it is there, but
even though I know there should be a nail somewhere within inches,
can't find it. *Usually misses screws, finds nails.

Closest walkin so far has been Home Depot Zircon whizbang for $49.
TOO MUCH!! *I don't want to find studs, just the nails

Next best has been Harbor Freight, Cen-Tec unit 5 in 1 for $8.99
Sounds great, I once ordered a Cen-Tech Sound Level Meter $14.99
before from them, very satisfied customer, replaced our $100+ unit.
But this latest requirement just rankles me to pay 8.99 +6.99 shipping
total of 15.98 for a simple little widget.

You guys ALWAYS know where to get stuff at great prices. *Any help?

Anybody got one to send me, or provide a URL to get something?

You can get more nails, pretty cheaply, at the box stores...

LOL! I'm cheap, not that cheap.! ...But I confess to saving the
screws.