dave in fairfax

Default Got a decent vise; what a difference!

Lazarus Long wrote:
Is this Wilton vise a patternmaker's style vise? I'm not familiar
with a Wilton.

www.wilton.com
They're a conglomerate now. A long time back they bought Columian
Vise Mfg Co. of Cleveland, OH. This was after the 1925 name
change by Columbian. That's why they can call their vises
Columbians. I've got one of the early Columbians, great vises.
Columbian, Morgan and Wilton all made comparable vises at the turn
of the century. The Wiltons were lighter, but better than most of
the present day vises. It is a patternmakers vise, with a 15 deg
tilt as I remember. Present day Wiltons tend to be even lighter
than the old ones were. Not as good as a good Record, but
definitely usable. IMO. YMMV.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work