Posted to alt.home.repair
Tegger[_3_] Tegger[_3_] is offline

Default where to get a drywall 'nail locator'?

"Bob F" wrote in :

Have an old harddrive laying around. Take it apart, remove the magnet,
and you have a perfect locator.

The magnet will actually stick to the nails in the drywall.

It sure does!

If you don't have any old hard-drives available, you can call around to the
little hole-in-the-wall computer-repair places. They often have old hard
drives left over from upgrades. If the drive is old and small enough, they
might give it to you for free, or for really cheap.

Sometimes people leave old computers at the curb, hoping somebody will take
them away. Usually they're stripped of the hard-drives, but next time you
see one, have a peek inside; you might get lucky.

I just counted mine: I have at least 20 old hard-drives lying around, not
counting the really ancient ones with stepper motors and hand-written test
stickers on them...

--
Tegger