Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Is this due to RoHS solder?

Boris Mohar wrote in message

Took apart a Volvo 850 fuel pump relay. Cracks everywhere.

http://www.viatrack.ca/Misc/FP%20Relay/

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things)

http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

RoHS came in with a vengence 2006, the earliest I've seen it in anything was
2001.
If you have some known tin+lead solder try adding it to a joint with a
soldering iron. If the surface goes white and the surface "freezes" almost
instantly then the original joint was likely PbF. If the original was
tin/lead then a near enough normal leaded solder joint will result. If you
have a temp settable soldering iron and set it low enough to still create a
leaded solder joint then you may find it takes an awful long time and
produce a pastey looking lump if you try the iron on a PbF solder joint with
a bit of flux to give it a decent chance of melting.
Just by appearance I would say you have PbF
This is a known PbF crack developing, in the body of a joint rather than
around a pin , a pic of mine
http://www.diverse.4mg.com/talk_crack.jpg