Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Morse #1 taper adapter

"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message
I have my high-speed spindle, a drill quill made to run 10k rpm. However,
it has a M-1 male taper that holds a 1/4" Jacobs chuck. I need to mount a
6" x 1/16" x 7/8" AH cut-off disk. Is there a commercial adapter or do I
have to make something?

I read that as a male Morse #1 taper protruding from the end, fitting a
female taper hole in a Jacobs chuck. Usually the male stub arbor would have
a Jacobs taper. The large ends of likely candidates are 0.384" for Jacobs
#1, 0.475" for Morse #1, and 0.559" or .549" for Jacobs #2.
http://www.newmantools.com/tech/taper.htm

The inner bodies of Jacobs chucks are soft and easily machined, even the
high quality ball-bearing Supreme ones. I just checked with a file. If your
arbor is soft enough to drill and tap the end for a retaining screw you
could modify a chuck body into the disk holder.

jsw