Posted to uk.d-i-y
thirty-six thirty-six is offline

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

On Dec 9, 2:10*am, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"thirty-six" wrote in message

On Dec 8, 4:49 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:

"js.b1" wrote in message

On Dec 6, 5:34 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:

One automotive engineer, not mechanic, said the best thing is use the
likes
of Mobil 1 oil and a high quality oil filter that grabs particals of
smaller

Actually since about 2004 Mobil 1 is no longer a true fully synthetic.
.

I think gear oil is neglected especially as it lubricates the diff and
drive
shafts as well. How sensitive is gear oil to extended changes? Is fully
synthetic gear oil superior. I would assume so as it would take more to
break it down.

Garages will top up via the vent plug so overfilling the box. *Can't
remember the details, but the oil wont work as required when the box
is overfilled like this. *It's better to have low oil than an
overfilled box. *Next time I'll be using a molybdenum disulphide
loaded oil, probably a Rocol product. *There's no need just now, needs
a few years (probably 4) and miles before the standard gearbox oil
starts showing effects of deterioration. *The extreme pressure
additive in a standard gear oil is not particularly hard wearing.

Sounds like pure synthetic is the answer.

I suspect an MoS2 loaded gear lubricant will have a lower viscocity
and not be temperature sensitive.