Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default where to get a drywall 'nail locator'?

On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 18:23:13 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 16:06:21 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy
wrote:

All I need is a simple nail finder/locator for finding the nails in
the drywall. I KNOW where the studs are, but need to find screws/nails
behind the taping plaster.

I remember years ago using a magnet mounted in a 'gimbal' structure
that pointed to a nail. Unsuccessfully tried to make one. the one I
made keeps missing the fasteners! If it 'sees' one, it is there, but
even though I know there should be a nail somewhere within inches,
can't find it. Usually misses screws, finds nails.

Closest walkin so far has been Home Depot Zircon whizbang for $49.
TOO MUCH!! I don't want to find studs, just the nails

Next best has been Harbor Freight, Cen-Tec unit 5 in 1 for $8.99
Sounds great, I once ordered a Cen-Tech Sound Level Meter $14.99
before from them, very satisfied customer, replaced our $100+ unit.
But this latest requirement just rankles me to pay 8.99 +6.99 shipping
total of 15.98 for a simple little widget.

You guys ALWAYS know where to get stuff at great prices. Any help?

Anybody got one to send me, or provide a URL to get something?

I've have a couple electronic stud finders.
Not sure how they work, except they don't much work at all.
Think I read here about using "super magnets" like what's found in
hard drives, when I was putting up new trim.
So I told my son to get a magnet from an old hard drive I had laying
around.
Best thing I ever used for finding studs.
It'll stick on the wall right over the nail.
I put a piece a masking tape on it to keep it from falling out of my
fingers.
Just move it lightly on the wall in moving circles and it'll stick
when it goes over a nail.
Couldn't be easier.
Somebody posted a store-bought nail finder using these types of
magnets, but I don't have the link.
I'd buy one of those if I didn't have hard drive magnets handy.

--Vic

Think this is what somebody posted about before.
http://tinyurl.com/6re6clq

But if you have an old hard drive to get a magnet from, save your
money.
When the magnet sticks just mark it or put a small piece of tape
there.

--Vic