Lazarus Long

Default Got a decent vise; what a difference!

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 03:08:14 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

I spotted a Wilton vise for $99.99 that has a pivot plate. They had one
in stock and I decided to replace the POS Shop Fox with it.

Today I installed that sucker and put it to the acid test. I miked a
Porter Cable #20 biscuit and then squeezed it in the new vise. I easily
got it compressed by 4 to 5 thousandths. I had been unable to compress
biscuits with the old vise no matter how hard I reefed on the handle.
This one was a breeze. Then I placed about a 3 foot long piece of 3/4
maple in it and did the wiggle test. It held! Hallelujah!

Morale of the story is if you have a cheap vise, a better made one is
like night and day when it comes to holding power.

dave

Is this Wilton vise a patternmaker's style vise? I'm not familiar
with a Wilton.