Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy333 Randy333 is offline

Default Power Steering only works one way?!?

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 20:38:42 -0600, technomaNge wrote:

On 12/07/2011 07:16 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

I assume that either the steering box was bad from le yarde du junque
from which I picked it up, or that sitting dry in the truck for the last
five years has let some delicate little valve stick open or closed. I'm
wondering if continued efforts to free it up (by running the truck moving
the steering from lock to lock) are going to do any good, or if I should
just plan on pundling up a ton-o-cash for a new box.

First thing to do is get it full. Cycle left-center-right, top off
reservoir, repeat until full.

Now you can assess the performance.

I put a buick pump on my 1963 Food 4000 Tractor and I can tell you it
takes awhile to get the air out and the pump to quiet down. I stuck a
1.5" dia clear (tygon maybe) hose abut 6" long on top of the
reservoirto add volume. The reservoir is so small you are always
sucking the returned air back in. Start car, turn lock to lock, shut
off, wait 1 hour , repeat. Each time you purge some air then you have
to let the bubbles surface.

Untill it is full and purged, you don't really know what if anything
is wrong. I'm guessing the factory vacuum fills them to avoid the air
problem.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy