Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall[_2_] Adrian Brentnall[_2_] is offline

Default Bonding metal to glass

HI Paul

I do a lot of sticking metal to glass (fused glass jewellery - but the
same principle)

Used to use triolyse, but it can be a bit too brittle, and you can get
failures. Don;t know about Goop.

The product I've been using for the last few years is called E6000 -
which comes from the USA. I have some little 1fl oz tubes of it that I
imported - send me a private email if you're interested in a tube and I
can sell you some (from Ireland).

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/e6000_series_retail.htm is the
manufacturer's website

The key things I've found with this stuff are

- roughen the metal and the glass before sticking (small bit in a Dremel
works well)
- degrease both surfaces with Meths, and dry
- work a tiny amount of glue into both surfaces with a toothpick, then
hold together and leave well along for 24 hours

Adrian