Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

Martin Bonner wrote:
On 7 Dec, 17:02, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
BUT I am fairly sure that commercial diesel engines in big trucks are up
for quarter of a million miles, at least.

ROFLMAO. Detroit Diesel Corporation (customer in my previous job),
has made plenty of engines with a million miles on the clock.

"at least"

It's true that _most_ of their customers decided that the the major
engine rebuild required at 700,000 miles wasn't worth it in light of
the value of the rest of the truck, but 250,000 miles isn't much more
than "run in".

rebuilding an engine properly is effectively setting the clock back to zero.

I know that the smaller diesel VANS are not good for much over 250k as
they are in general 'car engines' detuned a bit
But proper truck engines are better than that.

So that's a good data point if '700k before major rebuild' is trade
standard...