Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Garbage Disposal with a Septic Tank

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 19:53:51 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

Ny wife is thinking that it is time for us to get a garbage disposal,
to avoid having to clean carrot and potato peelings out of the sink,
etc. I am a little concerned about the added strain on the septic
tank and whether we should proceed with my installing a disposal or
not.

It can work. I'd use care though. We have a disposal and city sewer,
but I still put little down the drain. It is just as easy to put 90%
of the waste either in the trash or on a compost pile.

I'd increase the frequency of pumping too. My son had to replace his
septic system, but it was never quite determined what the real problem
was and if the disposal was a contributing factor. Some was probably
neglect by the previous owners over the years.

There are disposals made specific for septic tanks so you may want to
check them out.