Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Damaged worktop: what to do

On Dec 7, 9:27*pm, Nightjar wrote:
On 07/12/2011 19:49, F wrote: I've put a hot griddle pan (yes, I know!) down on the kitchen worktop
and now have a bubble in the surface around 10mm long and 5mm wide. It's
a couple of mm high and has a fine crack across the top of it. The
worktop is a one of Formica's finest textured in black and grey.

Anyone able to advise on a repair other than 'replace it all'. I don't
have an angle grinder, but I do have a couple of cans of WD40...

Management has stayed calm. So far.

Say 'I know how to stop that happening again' then use a router to cut a
few parallel, equally spaced, 5mm wide, 200mm long round bottomed
grooves, one of which removes the bubble, and set some 5mm diameter x
200mm stainless steel bars into the surface. One invisible repair, one
hot pan stand and it all looks as though it was planned.

Colin Bignell

Might be good in the short term, but water getting in all those cracks
will prove a bad idea.

NT