Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Neville Robert Neville is offline

Default Garbage Disposal with a Septic Tank

"hr(bob) " wrote:

Ny wife is thinking that it is time for us to get a garbage disposal,
to avoid having to clean carrot and potato peelings out of the sink,
etc. I am a little concerned about the added strain on the septic
tank and whether we should proceed with my installing a disposal or
not.

All polite opinions warmly welcomed, expecially if you have any first-
hand experience.

People have them and they can be a feature that appeals to someone who has never
lived with a septic system before. So it may make resale easier. OTOH it
wouldn't be a factor for me to add a $50 grinder if it was missing. Bottom line
is that it will reduce time between pumping and the life of the field. Your call
if it's worth it.

http://www.epa.gov/nrmrl/pubs/625r00008/html/fs2.htm