Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dave Balderstone Dave Balderstone is offline

Default Wet wood useage??

In article , Keith
wrote:

Yesterday I got some live Cherry and Apple woods. The pieces aren't
huge but should make some nice bowls. I've read numerous accounts of
how to handle it but haven't reached a conclusion as to how best to go.
I'm sure we have people in the group who have the answers with far more
experience.

I turned the outside of a piece of cherry yesterday and now it's in a
plastic bag. One thing about wet wood...no dust and boy do the curls
come off it nice once the bark is gone :O)

1) I have to store most of it until it's time to use it. So, starting
with piece #1 - Am I better off turning a piece wet, sealing and storing
it until it's dry?? Saying this - How long to store, what to seal it
with and how to store it. Should it go in a plastic bag, then in a box??

2) Am I better off waiting for it to dry until turning?? (Seal ends and
store somewhere??)

Al this might be mundane to a lot of you. I did two levels of
woodturning courses but we never did talka bout stoing wood or preparing
wood for storage. That would have been a good topic at a class!!

Apple is going to move and twist like crazy. I turn it very thin when
wet and let it find its own shape.

I've never turned green cherry, you just don't find it this far north.

Remember... If it holds water, it's a bowl. If not, it's art.

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com