Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default Wet wood useage??

In article ,
Keith wrote:

I turned the outside of a piece of cherry yesterday and now it's in a
plastic bag. One thing about wet wood...no dust and boy do the curls
come off it nice once the bark is gone :O)

1) I have to store most of it until it's time to use it. So, starting
with piece #1 - Am I better off turning a piece wet, sealing and storing
it until it's dry?? Saying this - How long to store, what to seal it
with and how to store it. Should it go in a plastic bag, then in a box??

There are many, many methods. All of them work for some people, and for
some definition of work....

Generally better to at least rough the bowls green. If you can deal with
the idea that the result may not be perfectly round (or may be quite
oval) you can also finish turn green, and then fix the foot once it's
dry. If rough turing, leave an inch or so of wall thickness so that you
can get a round result when remounting the dried, oval, roughed bowl.

Apple is very pretty and also very prone to cracking. Good luck with it
and expect some losses. Cherry is usually less trouble.

Plastic-bagging may be a bit too much - most places you'll mold the wood
with a plastic bag and long-term storage (might not be true in some very
dry areas.)

Paper bags (fold the top over) and paper bags full of shavings are two
approaches. Buried in shavings without a bag is another. Boiling the
roughed out bowls, microwaving the roughed out bowls (have a shop
microwave or a REALLY tolerant spouse) soaking the roughed out bowls in
liquid dish detergent solution... all things that work for some people.