Posted to sci.electronics.repair
klem kedidelhopper klem kedidelhopper is offline

Default Cable channels

Our cable system just went 100% digital. Except for announcements
regarding the change over on several analog channels there is no more
analog programming. I have a 2008 Samsung flat screen set in here for
repair that is "no problem found" and I decided to see what would
happen if I auto programmed it on cable. Although it picked up and
stored many digital channels, they all seemed to have pixel ation and
sound problems and appeared as though you were trying to watch a bad
DVD. If it wasn't a problem with the set then all these channels were
in fact digitally scrambled in some manner. This surprises me because
I was under the impression that the cable companies were required to
broadcast unscrambled networks, PBS, cable access etc, channels so
that any set with a Quam tuner, (and I'm assuming that this set must
have one), could receive them. Does anyone have any idea as to what
could be going on here? Thanks, Lenny