Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electricital question

On 12/6/2011 11:27 AM, Steve B wrote:
I have four electric cables feeding juice to my shop. There are two R 2 AWG
aluminum 600 volt cables, one slightly smaller one with a yellow stripe,
and a separate insulated copper ground. That makes FOUR separate cables
going out there, not one that has four wires in it. The outside diameter of
the R2 is 7/16"
including the black insulation. The smaller one with the yellow stripe is
3/8" diameter, and the ground is 5/16". They are 165' long.

Can anyone give me more about capacity/usable amperage with that
information?

Steve

Are there any letters on the #2 wire insulation that look like TW, THHN,
RHH, XHHW? If the wire is in free air, it will carry a lot
more current. Depending on the insulation, the amp rating could be
as high as 150 amps.

TDD