Posted to alt.home.repair
worker bee worker bee is offline

Default Does anyone know what 'kind' of threads are on a typicalportable gas can?

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 23:35:50 +0000, Red Green wrote:
There is really something wrong with you. Your preoccupation with
gasoline brings pyro to mind. Or like someone said, you're stealing it.

It's not a preoccupation - it's simply a design problem.

Once every couple of months, I drive to the gas station and fill up ten
five gallon cans of gasoline. Back at home, I siphon that gasoline into a
55-gallon drum. Then, for the next two months, I use that gasoline to
fill two cars and various typical small engine motors. When needed, I
return to the gas station, two months thereafter.

NONE of these operations requires the spout.

I simply use the spout as a cap. It's not a big deal but the spout is
harder to remove and put back on than a simple cap would be simply
because you can't grip it with your entire hand (because the spout is in
the way).

So you can only grip it with the tip of your fingers. But it's on pretty
tight (air and water tight).

So, it would be a bit easier if I simply replaced the spout with a cap.

Do you have any idea what the threads are and where we can get a cap? I'm
sure I'm not the first person who wants to cap a gasoline can nowadays.