Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Table Saw Safety & The CPSC

On 12/5/2011 7:42 PM, Larry W wrote:
In , wrote:
On 12/4/2011 10:30 PM, Larry W wrote:

More likely any increase in accidents was due to lack of training. People
using ABS for the first time often thought there was a brake system
defect when they experienced the pedal pulsation the ABS causes when it
is active and let up on the brakes. And people who were trained to
pump the brakes in poor traction continued to do so with ABS, resulting
in reduction inn braking performance.

Until you have ABS go off on dry pavement as you attempt to slow down
normally to avoid ramming the stopped traffic in front of you, you ain't
experienced the wonders of ABS. I pulled the fuse on my GMC truck after
3 fixes under warranty and one out of warranty. These things reduce
braking power by 1/2 it seems.

--
Jack
Got Change: General Motors === Government Motors!

Didn't we have this same conversation a few months ago?

Yes, nothing has changed.

Your assertion is possibly true for a defective system

Not possible, absolute.

or perhaps one that has been poorly designed,

They are designed to detect locked up wheels and when detected, pulsate
the breaks rapidly. This means the breaks are NOT on half the time, the
result is half the breaking power. This is OK if you are sliding, it is
not OK if you are simply stopping.

but there is no question that ABS results in better stopping
distances except for very skilled drivers, and for them only in straight
line stops on dry pavement.

If you ever had them go off at 45 mph on dry pavement when simply
performing a normal non-sliding stop, you would sing a different tune.
For me, They can keep their ABS crap. At best, they could have a switch
to turn them on in icy, snowy conditions. For me, and according to my
garage, many other GMC owners, the best thing is to just pull the fuse.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com