Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glue pot heater for hyde glue - hotplate?

RobertL wrote:
On Dec 5, 11:53 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
NoSpam wrote:
I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest a
cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70 degC ?

bin the HIDE glue and get a hot glue gun instead.

One nice thing with hide glue (apart from authenticity of course) is
that you can undo the joints by steaming them a bit.

same goes for hot glue actually BUT its got radically different acoustic
properties, so I retract the original statement with respect to ancient
and treasured instruments.

PS did anyone see that article on someone who cat scanned a Stradivarius
to exactly get the shape right, and is now building replicas? Cool trick
huh?

OK there's a bit of smarts in wood selection and the varnishes, but its
apparently getting a really close sound already.

I cant remember where I saw it...

Robert