Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell Nick Odell is offline

Default Glue pot heater for hyde glue - hotplate?

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 09:19:34 +0000, NoSpam
wrote:

On 06/12/2011 02:35, Nick Odell wrote:
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 23:53:05 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

NoSpam wrote:
I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest a
cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70 degC ?
bin the HIDE glue and get a hot glue gun instead.

Nice joke TNP. You wouldn't believe the number of times I've had to
pick a violin apart to clean it up and put it together again because
someone has thoughtfully done just that.

Incidentally, I use my electric bending iron set at a low temperature
and an old tobbacco tin for the glue when I want to heat up a small
quantity of hide glue. No water jacket required. I realise that's not
a lot of help to the OP since he probably doesn't have an electric
bending iron in the cupboard under the sink.

Nick

Well ... I don't have a bending iron at the moment but I've been
looking-around to work out how to make one but am tempted by silicone
heating pads as a replacement for the traditional iron - have you tried
them?

I don't think a glue gun would be particularly appropriate for the 18thC
English "Guittar" that I'm restoring ;-)

Ha! I guessed you might be up to something interesting! I bought my
bending iron back in the last century when I was nobut a lad but all
it is is a large aluminium block with two precisely-fitted cartridge
heaters and a simmerstat and I reckon I'd make one myself nowadays if
this one weren't indestructible. Which is also the reason why I've not
needed to try heating pads.

Nick