Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Table Saw Safety & The CPSC

On 12/5/11 6:39 PM, Larry W wrote:
In ,
wrote:
On 12/4/11 9:30 PM, Larry W wrote:
And people who were trained to
pump the brakes in poor traction...

...were trained by fools.

I should have been more specific. I was talking about situations like
skidding on ice, where in pre-ABS days controlled pumping of brakes
was (and is) an effective method of regaining control of braking.

I guess I don't call that "pumping the brakes," but just letting off the
brakes if they lock up. I still have a friend who refuses to accept that
his late model car with ABS will stop faster in snow than he can by
"pumping" his brakes. Even after I, other friends, the dealer, and the
mechanic told him the chattering he felt in the pedal was simply the
evidence of the actual process used by the ABS, he still thinks it's a
malfunction and he will still "pump" his brakes.

Every winter, I introduce several people here in the south to the
apparently mysterious concept of down shifting with an automatic
transmission in slick weather.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)