Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Armored/BX Cable question

On Dec 5, 1:45*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 12:27:36 -0600, The Daring Dufas

wrote:
On 12/5/2011 11:28 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 09:23:19 -0600, The Daring Dufas
*wrote:

On 12/5/2011 6:08 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

BX cable was outlawed years ago for safety reasons and the replacement
is MC cable.

Nonsense. Armored cable (BX) is still permitted under the 2011 NEC. See
Article 320.

Perhaps it's just in my area, it's not allowed around here and none of
the supply houses have carried BX for years. The only thing you will
find at the big box stores and electrical suppliers is MC cable. The old
BX with paper insulation vanished from the supply chain a long time ago.
I use Greenfield conduit all the time on commercial refrigeration
equipment and for any application where I need to protect loose wires of
any kind for short distances. If I use Greenfield/flexible metal conduit
for a longer run, I add a ground wire and bonding grounds at either end
for my peace of mind and the electrical inspectors happiness. ^_^

TDD

They still make AC cable, it still has paper wrapping the conductors
and it is legal everywhere unless you have an AHJ that writes his own
rules.

Most of the time you will see it in HCF (hospital) style because it is
the only legal cable in patient care facilities.

The only ramification of the paper wrapper is that makes this a dry
location only wiring method. You also need the red insulating bushings
on AC cable. They are not required on MC if you use the appropriate
connector.

http://www.afcweb.com/pdf_2011/p32_ac.pdf

Here in Birmingham the city electrical code is stricter than in the
county for some reason and often stricter than the NEC. I'm telling
you the truth about BX around here, I haven't seen any new BX in years.

TDD

Do you work around hospitals? That is the usual place you see AC cable
these days.

You see MC cabling installed in commercial buildings... It is used
above
drop ceilings which serve as open plenum returns...

It is preferred in larger cities in all applications as rodents can't
chew through
it and cause short circuits and fires inside of sealed wall
cavities...

In NYC all wiring has to be in conduit or type MC cable...

~~ Evan