Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Verne Bob Verne is offline

Default Tool - name and source?

On Dec 5, 2:35*pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:
Looks like little (I think metal) wafers, used to measure/compare
thicknesses. (Presumably) One for 1/32", one for 1/16", etc etc.
Principally used by machinists?

I saw them described in a Woodsmith years ago, thought "I've needed
those for years!" and *thought* I'd remember the name and get
around to finding a source eventually. Hah! :-)

Ring any bells?

Thx,
Will

They are called gage blocks or gauge blocks. They come in rather
large sets, for use by machinists and their QC inspectors. Don't know
of any specifically made for the lower tolerance requirements of
woodworking applications. If I only needed a few, I guess I'd be
tempted to make my own from some stable hardwood with a planer and
micrometer

Here is one:

http://www.amazon.com/TTC-Piece-Prec...4860&sr =1-31

Bob in NC