Posted to rec.woodworking
Just Wondering Just Wondering is offline

Default Table Saw Safety & The CPSC

On 12/4/2011 12:00 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 12:28:24 -0600, wrote:

In , knuttle
wrote:

The more safety device the more people assume there is no danger in
using the tool, so since people will assume they are safe with the saw
stop there will be more accidents with the saw.

I recall that when ABS brakes were installed in police cruisers,
collisions increased for just that reason.

And why most of the driving population today, who have no idea or
respect for the engineering principles behind braking an automobile
because they were never taught the basics, including that brakes FAIL,
see no problem with driving five feet behind the car in front of them at
80mph.

The problem with today's drivers is that most of them can't even
steer, let alone DRIVE a vehicle. I believe in mandatory emergency
(or performance) driving courses and mandatory gun handling courses
for every citizen. We'd eliminate a lot of our vehicular deaths and
maimings plus reduce the number of criminals if we'd face that. People
wouldn't be afraid of guns or cars nearly as much as they are now.

I swear, younger female drivers appear to be the worst of the bunch. My
own daughter, as much as I fuss, will drive 30 mph up to a stop sign and
put on the brakes at the last possible moment.

Soccer Moms are second, followed by hormonal male teenagers.

My vote's for people who learned to drive in another country.