Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default It broke (Allen wrench)

notbob wrote:
On 2011-12-04, aemeijers wrote:

You are right, of course, but nobody cares. See Kleenex, Xerox,
Scotch tape, Google, and a thousand others. The market leader always
becomes a synonym for the item in question.

Yep. Many brand names have become applied to the generic term for a
tool. A crescent wrench, channel-lock pliers, phillips screwdriver
are but a few. Not that the original was always better or a 2nd gen
generic tool can't be as good or better than the original. Williams
Tool made better adjustable wrenches than Crescent Tool.

Good tools are where you find them. The best pair of adjustable
pliers (channel-locks) I ever owned were cheapo knock-offs made by
Wizard and sold by Grand Auto. Hardened jaws and form-fitting handles
at half the price. Also, many tools are simply rebranded. You don't
think Snap-On actually makes all those tools, do you? They may have
super good wrenches, but I once bought a Snap-On oil can that was
cheap junk and broke the first time I used it. Many once great brand
names have been bought by Chinese companies. I've got an old B&D
3/8" adj drill motor that's almost indestructable. Will run till
it's too hot to hold. I wouldn't give eight cents for the new B&D
line.

Yep. And sometimes an entity gets an early reputation and coasts. Quick,
name the "best" university in America....

Most would say Harvard. Harvard was the first university in America and
earned its reputation early. Since then, the school has pretty much
withered. On the other hand, very, very few people can name the SECOND
university founded in America...

William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA, founded 1693). That school has been
trying to catch up - in reputation - for over 300 years.