Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Oh dear oh dear. CO2 Caused ice sheet formation?

On 05/12/2011 10:29, cynic wrote:
On Dec 3, 3:18 am, The Natural
wrote:

SNIP

So whilst there's no denying that it got warmer between 1960 and 2000,
and the CO2 in the atmosphere increased dur8ing that timem, thats really
the limit of the testable FACTS and we cant say that it was due to any
given thing with certainty.

Vast amounts of CO2 are present in solution in the oceans and other
water of this planet.

So far so good.

Gases dissolve better in cold water (go back to school science
lessons) therefore as temperatures rise some of the gas comes out of
solution and thus their levels in the atmosphere rise. To me this
suggests that the rise in CO2 is driven by the rise in temperature on
the natural heating and cooling cycle of the planet. NOT that rising
CO2 levels cause temperature rise as the tree huggers would have us
believe and beat our breasts about.

At present the oceans are still acting as a net sink of atmospheric CO2.
This is easily verified by the isotope ratios of the atmospheric and
oceanic CO2. The evidence that it is fossil fuel burning that is adding
the CO2 now is beyond dispute. Not least since for the past couple of
decades a very clever measurement of atmospheric oxygen shows
corresponding changes. The research data is online at Scripps for CO2
and O2 being the work of the late Dave Keeling and his son Ralph.

http://scrippsco2.ucsd.edu/
http://scrippso2.ucsd.edu/

Roughly 40% of the CO2 we add to the atmosphere dissolves into the sea
at present although that fraction is set to alter as parts of the cold
southern ocean are nearing saturation point.

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/press/pr...ease.php?id=89

I do appreciate the need for increased power generation but wind is
far too variable to ever be a solution. We need to get construction of
replacement Nuclear and Coal power generation underway NOW

Tidal should be a possibility around the UK - we have one of the largest
tidal ranges on the planet.

SNIP

Can you imagine what it would do to the green economy, and the careers
of politicians and people who have supported it to the hilt and beyond,
if it became fashionable to believe that something else was in fact
happening?

Therein lies the major problem!

The problem with AGW is that it is a long term problem. These days
businesses and politicians cannot see beyond the next AGM or election
respectively.

Sometimes they cannot even plan beyond the next week - just look at how
pathetic the politicians have been at trying to save the Euro.

SNIP

Well its stopped getting warmer since 2000, whilst C02 has increased,
but that, apparently, is not enough.

Add to that the energy costs to us all just to keep warm in the cold
weather being hiked at every opportunity by the energy companies with
the sop that they need to invest more in renewables and we are on the
road to hell in the proverbial handcart.

I think you will find that hell is somewhat warmer.

Regards,
Martin Brown