Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default Bench grinders vs. Buffers

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 13:56:58 -0800 (PST), Rex
wrote:

On Dec 1, 9:08*pm, Ecnerwal
wrote:

Depending on your buffing jobs, you might also look for super-cheap
(used will generally get you more for the money) wood lathes, which can
be set up with a long arbor between centers and multiple buffs. Rather
than multiple buffing machines or changing wheels, IF the parts can be
worked without needing a free face to the wheel, you can load up 3-5
buffing wheels and move from one to the next with no time for setup,
other than cleaning the part.

A friend showed my his similar setup using a garage sale vari-speed
wood lathe.
He had various arbors made for all his wheels - grinding, buffing, and
wire.
It was a very slick setup and one I intend to duplicate.

Thinking a bit further about the details: I have a 1"-8 spindle with
MT2 taper. I have two woodworking chucks that fit with the smallest
jaws taking about 0.4". Probably not useful in this application. I
also have a horrible 4-jaw chuck and a base plate. What would be the
best way to attach the arbor to the spindle?

I was thinking a MT2 collet like this:

http://www.busybeetools.com/products...47%7D2IN..html

or even adapt an end-mill holder like this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-8-...d-3-8-16/G9539
for a bigger arbor

running the arbor between a dead and a live centre driving it off the
base plate seems a bit of an overkill.

I suppose I could get one of the cheap chucks like this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H8034

Also, what is the deal with the conical arbors? Is it mainly
convenience and ability to change wheels quickly?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC