Posted to uk.d-i-y
brass monkey brass monkey is offline

Default Balancing radiators

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 04/12/2011 23:42, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

http://diydata.com/projects/centralh..._balancing.php

Why? Surely if your boiler is powerful enough you don't need to mess
around like this. If your boiler can't heat all the radiators at once,
your boiler is too small for the system. Even with all my radiators on
full blast, the boiler doesn't run continuously.

I think you may be missing the point... with an unbalanced system, some
rads will get blisteringly hot, some warm, and some may stay stone cold
regardless of the power of the boiler. If there is no water flowing
through the rad, it will not heat, no matter what the boiler does.

Slapdash plumbers may fit TRVs all round the place and let them do the
job - but even that is a bodge because it depends on some rooms reaching
target temperature and throttling back their rads to even begin to heat
other rooms. A well balanced system (with well chosen rad outputs) will
warm all the rooms at a similar rate.

John, I'm happy that you can afford to warm all rooms
I have 10 rads, only 5 are ever used due to the cost.
If I used all 10 I'd be on the high street with a begging bowl